The Malakwa train station was very important to the community before the highway was upgraded in the 1950’s. Residents used the railway as a means to travelling for business and pleasure to other communities. The mail was delivered daily by the train. The outgoing mail was put in a canvas bag, hung from a post by the tracks and the train captured the bag as it passed by. Incoming mail was dropped off the moving train as it passed by the Malakwa Station. The mail bags were then picked up by the postmaster, taken to the Malakwa Post Office where it was sorted and put in individual boxes.