This photo of the Malakwa Cenotaph was taken during the winter of 1942/1943.
In 1921 the Veteran’s Association erected a Cenotaph at Malakwa to commemorate those who had given their lives for peace. The plaque reads: Cpl. J.H. Anderson Pte. W. Waddell Pte. C.C. Jessop P.W. E. Wilson. After World War II the Sicamous Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion added the following names: Pte. W.S. Morrision Pte. G.R. Barnes Sgt. W. Howard Sgt. L.E. Russell Sgt. J.E. Aubrey Lt. L.W. Swan Spr. A. Chilton. In 1999 a plaque was added to the Cenotaph to honour Canadians who participated in the Korean War 1950 – 1953.