Bill and Evelyn Boyes were the first couple married in the Malakwa United Church on April 14, 1939. Best Man – Bert Cullis, Bridesmaid – Lydia Sederberg. After 50 years of marriage, Bill and Evelyn Boyes revisit the Malakwa United Church
Mary Barnes was a very active community member. She welcomed many a traveller into her home that was situated near the Malakwa railway station house. Many teachers that taught at Malakwa boarded with Mary. Mary brought treats to all the Malakwa School students, candy canes at Christmas and suckers or gum on the last day of school. She…
The original swinging bridge in October of 1934.
In 1923 volunteers from Malakwa, Taft and Craigellachie built the Presbyterian church. The church later became the property of the United Church of Canada. Each summer a student Minister of the United Church came to live in the tiny manse and conduct services. Shortly after the church was built, property was purchased by the United…
This photo of the Malakwa Cenotaph was taken during the winter of 1942/1943. In 1921 the Veteran’s Association erected a Cenotaph at Malakwa to commemorate those who had given their lives for peace. The plaque reads: Cpl. J.H. Anderson Pte. W. Waddell Pte. C.C. Jessop P.W. E. Wilson. After World War II the Sicamous Branch…
The first Malakwa Community Hall was built by volunteers on the George Hall property in 1910. The hall hosted may dances, concerts, wedding receptions and even movies. The hall was torn down in 1980 when the new community hall was built.
A hotel was built in 1912. It was situated near the Malakwa station house to serve railway workers and passengers. The hotel burned down in 1936.
This phot0 features the Eric Erikson family. The photo was taken in 1910. Erik Erikson, Hilda Erikson, Helmar Erikson and Clarence Erikson
Helmer Erikson was the first baby born in Malakwa in 1902. He was born to Erik and Hilda Erikson. Helmer and Mary Erikson took over the family farm, they had 5 children, back row: Emil and Hilda, front row: Victor, Elsie and Clarence.
This is an early photo of the Erik Erikson family home taken in 1911. Helmer and Mary Erikson’s Family Emil, Hilda, Victor, Elsie, Clarence
Helmer Erikson grew up to take over the family farm. He was very handy and built this tractor. He used the tractor for many years on the farm. Mr. Erikson also operated a garage in Malakwa in 1928.
The opening ceremonies of the Sutherland Highway in 1922 In 1922 the road between Revelstoke and the Okanagan was built. The photos and information was submitted for the 2002 Malakwa School’s 100th year celebration. According to the information provided, the link was made at Malakwa. The road was named the Sutherland Highway.
Malakwa School Bus
Photo from Malakwa School Centennial Scrapbook July 1, 1910 A Malakwa picnic.
November 7th, 1885 the Last Spike was driven joining Canada east to west at Craigellachie. Contrary to tradition, the spike was not made of gold, but common iron. Craigellachie is a Gaelic word meaning “Stand Fast”.
Queest Mountain Cabin – a popular destination for sledders.
Yard Creek Campground day use area – features a covered picnic area with easy access to the creek and forest hiking trails.
Malakwa Suspension Bridge – a walking bridge over the Eagle River,in use for over a century. It is featured in the Shuswap Tourism trail guide.
The Malakwa train station was very important to the community before the highway was upgraded in the 1950’s. Residents used the railway as a means to travelling for business and pleasure to other communities. The mail was delivered daily by the train. The outgoing mail was put in a canvas bag, hung from a post…
John J. and Elizabeth Russel McGlone arrived in 1914 from the Riverdale area on the shores of Lake Ontario in Toronto. They gave up a secure lifestyle; he as a planerman at the J. & J. Taylor Safeworks and she as a sales person in T. Eaton’s chinaware department, to seek a more adventurous and…
This is the new school in 2002. Picture taken by Sandra Northway.
Pictured here is the first school built in 1902. The first school was called Craigellachie School. The name was later changed to Malakwa School in 1905. The school was built on the same property where the school is situated today. There were 11 students enrolled in 1902. Picture found and contributed by Sandra Northway. …